Princess Winter

This blog is named after "My little pony" Princess Winter. Things I might talk about on my blog are: Me, Hockey, the OC, the baha'i faith, me, family, friends, school, me... etc.

Sunday, November 20, 2005

To All You Non-Tippers... I hate you

So, today I made 8% of my sales in tips. I would have made at least closer to 10%, but I had a table of students from UAF (I even knew a few) with a $117 table, and they tipped about 3.00 MAYBE, and that covered the part I had to pay for their meal cause our register is dumb. Let me explain that part.

People can comment if they want. So, when someone buys a meal, we ring it up, and then a ticket prints. Lets say, you get a Burger with Seasoned French Fries. Seasoned French Fries are $0.50 extra. It rings up the burger as.. lets say 8.70 (I don't remember how much). So, instead of saying the total for the burger is 9.20, or saying that the burger is 8.70, but .50 is for the seasoned fries, it JUST says 8.70. Then the Total (after everything is added together) has the seasoned fries included. No problem if they all pay together. The problem arises when they split the bill.
So, I ended up paying for all their add ons, which several of them got seasoned fries, I think a few added cheese or bacon or whatever. that probably totaled their tip. I also thought I didn't charge them for a shake, that I did... so I had to pay for that too. Work sucked. After I worked my ass off and didn't even get a spare moment to call Aaron, we close at 3, I didn't eat anything there cause I had already bought chinese earlier. I took my break until about 3:20. From 3:20 to 4:20 I was doing my sidework. Sidework is supposed to take you about a half an hour or less. I'm lucky I got out of there that fast. Lets explain another Denny's shortcoming.

They have basically 4 sections most of the time. Sometimes, if they have enough servers, they have 7 sections. The four sections are nicely divided (besides two random tables that are on one side of the center and are in the opposite sides section. Then the counter and two seaters are another section, then the tables in the back, then the back room. When they have 7 sections, theres a third section that is REALLY dumbly placed in the middle of two (taking seats from each section), and the reason its dumb is because they aren't really even how they split it, so it is just a few random tables on each side. The section they add to the back section is the same way. It just splits the table side somehow. Anyways... Two, since its only counter and two seaters, makes NO MONEY! It sucks. You have people who JUST get coffee (a quater, or maybe 1.25 tip for a bunch of coffee refills) and then little $20 tickets (so 2-3 dollars tip) with people that are willing to sit in the little seats (not nearly many). Nice thing about two is it also has a small set of sidework. The section I had (four) is the one I hate. Five has the big table (bigger sales, bigger tip) and it has quick sidework. Four has to do SO MUCH. It ALWAYS takes me at least an hour. You have to stock the dessert fridge, and then clean the whole back counter, and soak the soda things. It doesn't sound like much, but it really is. Stocking the Dessert fridge takes forever.
Okay, so I guess this has turned into a rant about Denny's rather than the not tipping. I hate denny's. I NEED to find another job. Enough said. Okay, so the ranting about not tipping. I got taxed for $54 tonight, even though I only made $45. Thats lame. It makes up for the other times when I get taxed for less than I make. OH HAH. I was wrong, more downfalls of Denny's.

Because people are apparently inherintly dishonest, they lie about how much they are making for tips. The IRS needs to know that people are taxing their tips. Since its general policy to tip 10-15% of your meal, then they make a rule. You can CLAIM that you made 8% of your sales in tips or 10& of your sales in tips. If you claim less, the IRS thinks you are lying and will come hunt you down (sucks if you make less than). If you claim more, the IRS realizes (apparently they didn't know this before) that everyone is lying about how much they make, and they will come hunt everyone else down and give Denny's a lot of trouble for having people not claim their tips. I wanted to claim whatever I got (usually over 8%). I was told that I'm NOT ALLOWED TO. I am told that I'm REQUIRED to lie about how much I am making. That bothers me alot. Tips are alot of my income. On a good night, I make twice what my hourly wage is in tips. So yes, its dumb that I am not allowed to be honest.
Okay, sorry... I really thought I was done. Anyways.. funny story from last night (well, it would be yesterday morning for you folks on regular time). I was getting my employee meal, French Toast. I'm always joking with the cooks and told them to make my French Toast special. They did. I was excited to try it, but scared also. I took a bite, and it didn't taste differnt. THey were like, you'll figure it out. I looked and saw something green. I was like, did they put lettuce between them? I picked it up and realized they had cooked it in. I was like, okay. He was like, try it its good. I took a bite and BAM! It wasn't lettuce it was green peppers. It was REALLY funny. THey offered to make me more, but i was full from the other 2 I had left.

Okay, so today I woke up and Aaron came over for a bit. He said he talked to Aleena online and she thought I was mad at her, and he explained that I thought she was mad at me, (well she was, but she wasn't anymore) and that me and her should do something together and talk. We hung out, went to Food Factory (it took forever. Aaron Kyle and I ended up tipping the hostess instead of the waitress cause she did EVERYTHING, besides enter the order. I saw our waitress once, to double check what the hostess took (sidenote: if I do a shitty job, I don't deserve a tip). Anyways, then Aaron took me home and He and Kyle and Bryce went snowmachining. I played worms and did some laundry. Aleena came home and we were fine. YAY! I still think what I said last night about the whole Forrest thing, but as long as she's not mad at me, I"m okay. Aaron came back over later, and he's always so lovey dovey during/after snowmachining. I think he just gets happy. All he wanted to do was be with me and spend time with me and hug me, etc. I love it. He'll tell me how much he likes me and how pretty I am. Its a great self-esteem thing. LOL! Anyways, we hung out for a while, then he left. Aleena and I went to the store (where we ran into him and bryce) and then I made it home, changed, and was 5 minutes late to work. Then, work was okay, but kinda lame... and I hate non-tippers (at least the ones who don't tip even thoughthey got good service). I'm in an okay mood, except I need to make another $100 or so so I can pay for insurance. Thats all for now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home